Skip to main content

Full text of "Naval Hospital Long Beach Commissioning Ceremony (1967)"

See other formats


NAVAL HOSPITAL 
LONG BEACH 
CALIFORNIA 




COMMISSIONING 
CEREMONY 



1 FEBRUARY 1967 



Vice Admiral R.B. Brown, MC, USN 
Surgeon General, U.S. Navy 




Rear Admiral R.O. Canada, MC, USN 
Deputy and Assistant Chief of 
Bureau of Medicine and Surgery 



Rear Admiral Frank A. Brandley, USN 
Commandant, Eleventh Naval District 




Rear Admiral C.B. Jones, USN 

Commander, Naval Base 

Los Angeles, Calif. 



INTRODUCTION 



This modern, five story, 350-bed hospital is located on 30.5 
acres of land proffered to the Navy by the City of Long Beach. It is 
ideally located at the intersection of the San Gabriel Freeway and 
Carson Street which is easily accessible from all the major military 
activities in the greater Los Angeles area. 

The Naval Hospital, Long Beach, will replace the Hospital 
Ship, USS Haven, which has provided the only Navy hospital 
facilities available in this area since November 1957 when the 
Naval Hospital, Corona was disestablished and transferred to the 
Veterans Administration. 

Both inpatient and outpatient care will be provided by the new 
hospital. It will require a staff of 109 officers, 216 enlisted personnel 
and 208 civilian employees. 



The initial cost of construction and outfitting was seven and 
one half million dollars. It is estimated that over $250,000 annually 
will be spent for supplies and services on the local market. Wages 
and military pay will add another $3.2 million per year to the local 
economy. 




Captain Paul R. Engle, Medical Corps, U.S. Navy 
Commanding Officer, Naval Hospital, Long Beach 

Captain Engle was born in Petoskey, Michigan in 1916, received 
his MD Degree from the University of Michigan in 1940, entered the 
Navy in 1941 and has served on active duty since that time. During 
World War II he served as medical officer aboard the USS Detroit. His 
assignments have included the Naval Hospital, Bethesda and Naval 
Hospital, Guam as Chief of Medicine 1948-49, post graduate study in 
Tropical Medicine at the Tulane University 1950, Resident Course at 
the Armed Forces Industrial College in 1955 and 1956, Force Medical 
Officer, Service Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet and Director, Physical 
Qualifications and Medical Records Division, Bureau of Medicine and 
Surgery 1959-1965. On 16 October 1965 upon recommissioning of the 
USS Repose (AH-16), he assumed command of the Naval Hospital. 
Upon being relieved and detached he came to Long Beach, to place in 
commission and become the first Commanding Officer of the Naval 
Hospital, Long Beach. Captain Engle wears the American Defense 
Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal with one Star, 
American Campaign Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with 
one Star, World War II Victory Medal, and the Vietnam Service Medal. 



PROGRAM 

COMMISSIONING CEREMONY 

NAVAL HOSPITAL, LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA 

2 P.M., WEDNESDAY, 1 FEBRUARY 1967 



MUSICAL OPENING 



Commander Cruiser Destroyer 
Force, Pacific Unit Band 



INVOCATION 



LCDR. R.L. Bigler, ChC, USN 



INTRODUCTION OF 
DISTINGUISHED GUESTS 



Captain H. von Radesky, 

MSC, USN 



REMARKS BY OFFICER IN 
CHARGE OF CONSTRUCTION 



Rear Admiral R.E. Wooding, 
CEC, USN 



ACCEPTANCE OF HOSPITAL 
BY SURGEON GENERAL 



Vice Admiral R.B. Brown, 
MC, USN 



COMMISSIONING CEREMONY 



COMMANDING OFFICER 

ASSUMES COMMAND 



Captain Paul R. Engle, 
MC, USN 



EXECUTIVE OFFICER ORDERS 
THE FIRST WATCH SET 



Captain F.B. Carlson, 

MC, USN 



ADDRESS BY GUEST SPEAKER Honorable Craig Hosmer, 

Member of Congress 



BENEDICTION 
MUSICAL FINALE 



LCDR. R.L. Bigler, ChC, USN 

Commander Cruiser Destroyer 
Force, Pacific Unit Band 



OPEN HOUSE 



HIGHLIGHTS 



NOTES 



The Congress in September 1962 authorized and appropriated 
£7,225,000 for construction of the Naval Hospital, Long Beach. The 
site for the hospital was proffered to the Navy by the City of Long 
Beach. 



Design of the hospital was by the local architectural firm of 
Hugh Gibbs and Donald Gibbs, AIA, under the general supervision of 
the Southwest Division, Naval Facilities Engineering Command. 

Ground was broken in April 1964 and construction was started 
soon after by the Electronic and Missile Facilities, Incorporated of 
Valley Stream, New York. 

The hospital is a five floor reinforced concrete structure of 
215,000 square feet with a capacity of 350 beds in one, two, four and 
five bed rooms. The entire structure is air conditioned and includes 
such labor saving devices as a pneumatic tube system, central 
dictation system, conveyor system for movement of supplies, and a 
pocket radio system for paging staff members. Television receivers 
are provided in the patients rooms and in lounge areas. 

The service departments and machinery spaces are located on 
the ground floor of the hospital. The first floor houses the adminis- 
trative offices, the outpatient clinics, diagnostic services and the 
surgical suite. The second to fourth floors contain the nursing units, 
including individual intensive care units for medical and surgical 
patients. The design of the nursing units is such that service 
traffic is separated from patient and visitor traffic. 

The officer in charge of construction for the hospital has been 
Rear Admiral L.C. Coxe, CEC, USN; the Resident Officer in charge 
of construction was Commander C. Curione, CEC, USN, until re- 
lieved by Commander F.M. Briggs, CEC, USN. The Liaison Officer 
for the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery has been Captain H. von 
Radesky, MSC, USN.